Mar 19, 2008

Q & A: Filing a Return For Receiving Rebate

QUESTION: I heard some information that someone does not need to actually file taxes for 2007, and that there is a form to fill out to still get the tax rebate without filing taxes. Is that correct? I heard that this form is available at the library and other places (probably same places as tax forms).

ANSWER: You must file a 2007 tax return to receive the stimulus payment even if you normally do not have to file a return. The return is the basis used by the IRS to determine if you are eligible for the rebate. You are correct in that federal tax forms are available at libraries and post offices as well as local IRS walk-in offices.
Technically, there is no deadline for filing a return just to be eligible for the tax rebate. But the earlier a return is filed the sooner the rebate payment will be issued. If you file a return by October 15, the IRS can process the return and issue the payment before the end of the year.

0 responses:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by 2008

Back to TOP