Mar 27, 2008

Q & A: Stimulus Rebate for Dependent Parent

QUESTION: My question is my mother is living with me & my husband. We have been taking care of her for the past couple of years and was able to claim her as a dependent on our taxes when we filed. Will she still be counted as our dependent on this tax rebate? Or does she have to file for the rebate check?

ANSWER: Great question and one many taxpayers are wondering about. In order to claim a dependent for purposes of the stimulus tax rebate, the dependent must be under 17 years of age as of 12/31/07. So your mother will have to file a tax return for 2007 to claim the rebate. Taxpayers who normally have no tax filing requirement may be eligible to receive a payment of $300 if they have at least $3,000 in qualifying income. Qualifying income includes any combination of earned income, nontaxable combat pay and certain benefits from Social Security, Veterans Affairs and Railroad Retirement. Visit the IRS web site at to read the most updated information concerning the stimulus rebate.

0 responses:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by 2008

Back to TOP