Apr 29, 2008

Tax Rebate Stimulus Payment- the IRS is pulling the tax debtors out...

It seems that the tax rebate has been finding individuals who owe tax debt. If you file for a stimulus tax rebate payment and you owe tax debt, you will NOT get your refund. In fact, you may get a letter of the additional balances owed.

Furthermore, if you have not filed, the IRS may hold the tax rebate payment in lieu of unfiled returns. The IRS can freeze all refunds in the case of unfiled returns.

In the case of a frozen refund for unfiled returns (unfiled return investigations are known as "TDI"s or "Taxpayer Deliquency Investigations"), the taxpayer will receive a form letter known as a "CP 88" or a "Letter 2825C".

This TDI can go to an Automated Substitute for Return Unit or out to the IRS field office for an open investigation or audit. In fact, many taxpayers will start realizing this week that they should have, but did not, get their tax rebate.

If you do not receive your tax rebate and you believe the IRS has "frozen" it for some reason- you may have some TDI or tax debt issues. If you do, you may need a professional to guide you through the maze of IRS complexity to solve your problem.

2 responses:

Anonymous,  April 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM  

I just wonder how often the iRS makes a mistake in sending out stimulus payments by accident. Have you seen a case where this has happened?

About IRS Mind May 2, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

They have just started sending the payments this week. If these payments are anything like the 2001 payments, the IRS will have many "freezes" in place to stop any payments from going to people that owe tax, have unfiled returns, or have some other non-compliant behavior.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP